The Florida Atlantic University's Department of Exercise Science & Health Promotion's Undergraduate Major is dynamic and exciting. The degree offers a well-rounded selection of courses to prepare the undergraduate for various work environments.
Internship Listings . This link provides a current listing of internship sites.
- Q. What does the ESHP program prepare me to do?
- A. The goal of the program is to prepare students for a variety of careers in exercise science and health promotion. These may include opportunities in corporate fitness, commercial fitness, hospital wellness centers, community health agencies, gerontological health centers, and community recreation agencies. Students may also pursue positions as clinical exercise physiologists, personal trainers, and strength & conditioning specialists.
- Q. Will the ESHP program prepare me for graduate study?
- A. Yes, the undergraduate program will provide you with a foundation to pursue advanced (graduate) education and careers in related fields, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and physician assistant.
- Q. Will I be given credit for prior course work?
- A. Yes, credit will be given for equivalent course work from other recognized institutions.
- Q. How long does the ESHP program take to complete?
- A. On a full-time basis, a Bachelor of Science degree can be earned in 4 years.
- Q. Is there a specific grade that is needed for the required coursework?
- A. A "C" or better is required for all Exercise Science prerequisite, core and elective coursework.
|Activity Classes (2)||PEN/PEM Classes||2-4 credits|
|Anatomy/Physiology I & Il + Labs||BSC 2085 & 2086 + Labs||8 credits|
|College Algebra||MAC 1105||3 credits|
|First Aid & CPR||HSC 2400||2 credits|
|General Chemistry + Lab||CHM 2045 + Labs||4 credits|
|General Psychology||PSY 1012||3 credits|
|Health and Fitness for Life||HSC 2100||2 credits|
|Inform System Fundamentals||ISM 2000||3 credits|
|Statistics||STA 2023||3 credits|
Most courses require at least one prerequisite class. Always check with your ESHP Advisor.
FAU ESHP Undergraduate Sequence
Students should have met Gordon Rule, Foreign Language, Intellectual Foundation, other COE requirements, along with ESHP prerequisites. Meet with ESHP advisor when you start taking ESHP classes.
|Semester 7||Introduction to ESHP||PET 3102||3|
|Exercise Physiology 1||APK 4110||3|
|Exercise Physiology Lab||APK 4110L||1|
|Nutrition in Health & Exercise||PET 3361||3|
|Semester 8||Applications of Training Physiologu I||PEP 3192||3|
|Exercise Physiology 2||APK 4134||2|
|Health Promotion||HSC 4581||3|
|Exercise Testing and Prescription||PET 4550||4|
|Exercise Testing Lab||PET 4550L||1|
|Semester 10||Applications of Training Physiology II||PEP 4138||3|
|Neurophysiology Hum Mvmnt||PET 3050||3|
|Neurophysiology of Human Movement||PET 3050||3|
|Semester 11||Elective or Approved Course||Varies||3|
|Internship in ESHP||PET 4946||9|
|Electives: 12 hours||Bio Principles||BSC 1010||3|
|General Chemistry 2||CHM 2046||3|
|Organic Chemistry 1 + 2||CHM 2210 + 2211||6|
|Abnormal Psych||CLP 4144||3|
|Psych of Hum Dev||DEP 3053||3|
|Medical Term||HSA 3534||3|
|Stress Mgmt||HSC 4104||3|
|Weight Mgmt||HSC 4139||3|
|Substance Abuse||HSC 4143||3|
|Ex. Leadership 2||PEP 3136||3|
|Mgmt Principles||PET 4404||3|
|Fitness Assmnt||PET 4551||3|
|DIS||PET 4905||1 - 3|
|Special Topics||PET 4930||3|
|College Physics 1 + 2||PHY 2053 + 2054||6|
|Sociolog Persp||SYG 1000||3|
|Other courses (MUST be pre-approved by ESHP advisor)||3|