Admission Requirements for PhD Students
Criteria for admission to the Integrative Biology program are based on the following:
- Bachelor of Science degree in a field of biological science or related field.
who meet the minimum University standard for grade point average of 3.0
(scale of 0 to 4) and scores of at least 150 each on the
verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination are
eligible to be considered for admission to the program. Successful
applicants will normally show strong performance in their undergraduate
course work and on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the Graduate
Record Examination, which exceeds these scores.
of letters of recommendation and personal statement. International
students whose native language is not English must score at least 213
(electronic version) or 550 (paper version) on the Test of English as a
Foreign Language (TOEFL). Satisfactory TOEFL scores can offset verbal
GRE scores below 150 at the discretion of the program’s
Admissions Committee. All international students whose
transcripts are from non U.S. institutions must have their credentials
evaluated course-by-course, including a GPA by a professional evaluation service, as specified in the Graduate College's International Graduate Student Application Guide. International students must also demonstrate competency in spoken English.
- All International Teaching Assistants are required to successfully pass a Panel Review prior to beginning their teaching assignments. SITA (Seminar for International Teaching Assistants) candidates who do not pass the panel review will be unable to hold a teaching assignment; however, they will not lose financial assistance for the period of time it was offered in the original offer letter. Please see the webiste for further information: SITA.
Application for PhD Students
- The doctoral Program in Integrative Biology at FAU is accepting applications for Fall admission cycle.
- Formal application to graduate studies at Florida Atlantic University must be made through the Graduate College.
The Graduate College requires the following application
materials be sent directly to Florida Atlantic University, Graduate
College, SU-80, Room 102, 777 Glades Road, P.O. Box 3091 • Boca
Raton, FL 33431-0991
- University Application
- Official Transcripts.
- Official GRE scores
- $30. 00 application fee
- Official TOEFL scores (international students only)
applicants must submit the following supplementary information
directly to the Program in Integrative Biology (see Contact information below):
- Supplemental Information Form
- Letter of application and a personal statement describing the
applicant's research interests and the reason for applying to the
doctoral program in Integrative Biology at Florida Atlantic University
- Copies of transcripts
- Copy of GRE scores
- Copy of TOEFL scores
- Three letters of recommendation (this is a PDF file and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Potential supervisors: The names of faculty members in whose lab the applicant might wish to work should be indicated on the application form (see faculty list). Up to three lab rotations in the first semester will help the new students in finding a home lab. The Admissions Committee and the Associate Directors (Tanja Godenschwege - Biological Sciences and Colin Hughes- Biological Sciences) will assist the student in identifying potential labs. However, students are encouraged to contact potential faculty directly to identify potential sponsors ahead of (and after) admission. In this case, the potential sponsor/s may sent the Student Sponsorship Form to the Program Assistant. Please note that the final decision about the student's choice of a sponser is made by the Admissions Committee and the Program Director.
Students transferring from the FAU Masters to the IB PhD program: If you are currently in the Masters Program at FAU and want to switch to the PhD program, please ask your current advisor to send the Student Sponsorship Form to the Program Assistant.
- Application deadlines:
Applications are accepted only for the Fall admission cycle. The completed applications must be received by January 15.
- Contact information:
- Program in Integrative
- Florida Atlantic University
- 777 Glades Road, SC 136
- Boca Raton, FL 33431
- Address queries to Michelle Cavallo, Program Asistant at 561-297-0384 (E-Mail: email@example.com)